This Homemade Chicken Pot Pie recipe meets the requirements for those days when life happens and you need something quick and easy to cook for dinner. It uses some things I don’t normally purchase (canned soup), but it’s a delicious family favorite at our house.
I originally found this recipe in a church cookbook many years ago. I’ve tried other Chicken Pot Pie recipes but always return to this one. The original recipe called for canned vegetables, which I’m sure you could use, but I prefer the frozen mixed vegetables. The choice is yours.
The chicken options for this recipe are numerous. You could use a store-bought rotisserie chicken if you are limited on time. You could use canned chicken for an even quicker option. I’ve made it several times by cooking my own chicken breasts or pieces. But, for this recipe, I used leftover smoked chicken and it was fabulous!
Begin by lightly buttering a 9×13 inch baking dish. Spread 4 cups of cooked, shredded chicken over the bottom.
Whisk together the chicken stock and cream of chicken soup. Pour over the chicken but DO NOT mix.
Spread the frozen vegetables over the mixture but again, DO NOT mix.
In a small bowl add the flour and butter. Using a pastry blender or fork, combine until the flour resembles small peas. Add the milk and stir. This mixture is very wet.
Pour or spoon evenly over the chicken mixture. Do you know what’s coming next? DO NOT mix.
Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 55-60 minutes until the topping is golden brown and the mixture is bubbling.
The first time I made this recipe I was skeptical. There are no added seasonings? (You could definitely add them if you wanted to, but they are not necessary). You don’t mix everything together? Nope! Is that runny topping going to make a nice crust? Yep! Trust me, this Chicken Pot Pie is simple to prepare but it is delicious!
HOMEMADE CHICKEN POT PIE
This Homemade Chicken Pot Pie recipe meets the requirements for those days when life happens and you need something quick and easy to fix for dinner. It uses some things I don't normally purchase (canned soup), but it's a delicious family favorite at our house.
Servings: 6 servings
- 4 cups chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 16 oz frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 stick butter grated
- 1 cup milk
- Lightly butter a 9x13 inch baking dish. Spread the chicken evenly over the bottom.
- Whisk together the chicken stock and cream of chicken soup. Pour evenly over the chicken but DO NOT mix.
- Spread the frozen vegetables over the chicken but DO NOT mix.
- In a small bowl, add the flour and butter. Using a pastry blender or fork, work the butter into the flour until it resembles small peas. Add the milk and stir.
- Pour the flour mixture over the chicken and vegetables but DO NOT mix.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 55-60 minutes until golden brown and the mixture is bubbly.
Serving: 6servings | Calories: 465kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 114mg | Sodium: 747mg | Potassium: 693mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 4498IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 2mg
If you enjoy this Homemade Chicken Pot Pie recipe, you might like this:
Thanks for stopping by!