WHAT IS COLESLAW?
Coleslaw is a side dish made using shredded raw cabbage, carrots, onions, and often times contains radishes and other vegetables. The dressing for coleslaw can either be mayonnaise-based or vinegar-based. It is a wonderful accompaniment for grilled meats, burgers, or served on bbq sandwiches.
HOW TO MAKE COLESLAW
- 1 medium head cabbage shredded
- 2 carrots peeled and shredded
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper chopped, may use colored peppers
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the cabbage, onion, carrots, and pepper into a large mixing bowl.
- In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, oil, vinegar, celery seed, and salt to a rapid boil.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Place in an airtight container and refrigerate until needed.