It’s apple season! After making applesauce, canning apples, snacking on apples, juicing apples, I decided it was time for a dessert. Yes, that’s two desserts in as many weeks for me. I don’t think that’s ever happened before.
This would make a terrific breakfast bread with that first cup of coffee in the morning or as a mid-afternoon snack, but it’s delicious enough to be served as a dessert.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with non-stick spray.
In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
With a hand mixer, mix together the white sugar, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add the flour and baking powder and stir until well blended.
Stir in the buttermilk. This will be a thick batter.
I admit I’m not very precise with my chopping. Some are teeny, some are larger. It all works out in the end.
Pour half the batter into the loaf pan. Spoon half of the apple mixture over the bread. Sprinkle with half the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture over the apples. Repeat this layer and press the apples gently into the bread mixture. Using a skewer or knife, swirl the brown sugar mixture through the bread.
Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
The final result was great, except for the fact that I removed it from the pan too soon and it split right down the middle. Can you tell? It tasted just as good and I think I did a pretty good job of hiding my mistake. Okay, maybe not, but it was still delicious.
Even though this was delicious as is, the next time I make it I will add chopped walnuts to the batter.
The addition of chocolate chips would also be delicious!
APPLE FRITTER BREAD RECIPE
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large apples peeled, cored, and chopped, mixed with 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk (depending on how thick you want it)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- With a and mixer, mix together the white sugar, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Add the flour and baking powder and stir until well blended.
- Stir in the buttermilk.
- Spread half of the batter mixture evenly in the loaf pan. Spoon half of the apple mixture over the bread. Sprinkle half the sugar/cinnamon mixture over the apples.
- Repeat the previous layer. Press the apples gently into the bread mixture. Using a skewer or knife, swirl the brown sugar into the bread.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 15-20 minutes before removing (carefully) from the pan.
- Drizzle with the glaze
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
We will definitely be making it this week, thanks for this great post!
I love apple fritters! What a great idea!