The holidays are quickly approaching and meal planning has begun. We usually have about 30 people joining us for dinner and it takes me several days to prepare. I’m always looking for easy dishes that can be prepared in advance and baked the day of. This recipe for Broccoli Cheese Casserole is a perfect option.
There are so many options for this casserole giving you the ability to make it truly your own. I’ll give a few ideas as I go along.
For this recipe, I used one head of fresh broccoli cut into florets and steamed for 5-7 minutes just until it was beginning to get tender. You definitely don’t want to overcook it or it will become mushy. Drain the broccoli and allow it to cool. OPTION: You could also use frozen broccoli. The total amount should be 5-6 cups of broccoli florets.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, onion, eggs, and 1 cup of grated cheese. OPTIONS: Replace cream of chicken soup with mushroom soup. You could also use cream of celery soup, but I haven’t tried that one; replace mayonnaise with Greek yogurt; use your favorite cheese. Another OPTION would be to make a bechamel sauce and omit the soup and mayonnaise altogether. Remember, I was trying to make this Broccoli Cheese Casserole simple and making a sauce was more time than I wanted to spend.
Gently fold the broccoli into the bowl making sure it is combined well with the sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spread evenly into a 9×13 inch baking dish. OPTIONS: You can use any baking dish that is at least 1.5 quarts. My family loves the crunchy topping so I use dishes that allow me to spread it out.
Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over the casserole.
Meanwhile, make your topping. I used 3 tablespoons of melted butter mixed with 1 cup of Panko bread crumbs. Panko makes a super crispy topping. Sprinkle it evenly over the cheese. OPTIONS: You could use regular bread crumbs in place of Panko; you could substitute 1 sleeve of crushed Ritz crackers for the Panko. This gives a light, buttery flavor to the casserole which is also delicious.
Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 30 minutes until it is bubbly and lightly browned.
BROCCOLI CHEESE CASSEROLE
- 1 medium head broccoli cut into florets
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese divided
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Steam the broccoli florets for 5-7 minutes until they are just becoming tender. Do not overcook or they will become mushy. Drain and allow to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the soup, mayonnaise, onions, eggs, and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Gently combine the broccoli with the sauce until everything is thoroughly mixed together.
- Spread evenly into a 9x13 inch baking dish or 1.5 quart baking dish of your choice.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the casserole.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter and add 1 cup of Panko bread crumbs, stirring well.
- Spoon the bread crumbs evenly over the casserole.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 30 minutes until it is bubbly and lightly browned.