Fried Cabbage is a side dish favorite for those of us living in the south. It is a great accompaniment to chicken, brisket, ham, or a vegetable dinner.
Cabbage has gotten a bad reputation in the past for causing gas and bloating. This can sometimes be true, however, there are many great things about it, too.
While oftentimes cooking a vegetable or fruit will reduce its nutrients, this is not the case with cabbage. Studies have shown there is very little difference between raw and cooked cabbage. What are some of the health benefits you ask?
- low calories
- high in Vitamins K, C, and B-6
- excellent source of antioxidants, fiber, and folates
- reduces inflammation
- helps improve digestion
- assists in weight loss
So, what are you waiting for?
HOW TO MAKE FRIED CABBAGE
Remove the outer layers of a small head of cabbage. Core and chop into one-inch pieces. You will need 4-5 cups of chopped cabbage.
Cut 4 strips of bacon into one-inch pieces. Place in saute pan or cast-iron skillet. Cook over medium heat until the fat has rendered and the bacon is crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon but leave the grease in the skillet. Set aside.
Add the cabbage, 1/2 cup of onions, 2 cloves of minced garlic, pepper to taste, and red pepper flakes, if using. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the cabbage reaches your desired doneness. I prefer a slight crunch to mine, but many want the cabbage to be soft. Stir in the bacon and allow it to warm through.
Use your imagination for this recipe. You could add sausage or other meats to this for a one-pot meal.
- 4 strips bacon chopped, cooked until crisp
- 4 cups cabbage chopped into one- inch pieces
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- pepper to taste
- pinch red pepper flakes optional
- Fry the bacon in a large saute pan or cast iron skillet until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp. Remove from the pan using a slotted spoon but leave the fat in the pan. Set aside.
- Add the cabbage, onion, garlic, pepper, and pepper flakes to the bacon grease and cook for 15-20 minutes until the cabbage reaches your desired doneness.
- Return the bacon to the cabbage and warm through.
Fried cabbage is only one of many ways cabbage may be used. You may enjoy this Roasted Cabbage with Balsamic and Honey