A delicious, moist, Mexican Cornbread that is the perfect bread choice for soups, chili, even as a substitute for hushpuppies if you are having fried fish.
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 4 ounces fire roasted diced green chilis (hot) drained
- 1 small jalapeno pepper (optional, for more heat) seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 8 ounces Mexican Crema
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese grated
In a large bowl, combine the eggs, green chilis, jalapeno, oil, onion, crema, and corn.
Add the cornmeal, baking powder, and cheese. Stir well.
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a cast iron skillet. Pour in the cornbread mixture and allow it to cook for about 30 seconds to get a crusty bottom.
Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.