If you could choose, which would you prefer? A slice of deli meat between two pieces of bread or juicy, flavorful, grilled chicken layered in pita bread with fresh veggies and a creamy yogurt sauce? This is a no-brainer for me and in the time it takes to grill the chicken you can have a delicious and healthy meal.
This recipe has its origins in the middle east. The word shawarma means “turning”. It is typically cooked on a rotisserie but the grill is a great alternative if you don’t have one.
Begin by preparing the marinade. Combine all ingredients together in a small bowl. Place the chicken into a large ziplock bag and pour the marinade over the chicken, ensuring that all pieces are thoroughly coated. Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
Prepare the yogurt sauce by mixing all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to assemble.
Set the grill to medium-high heat. Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 10-15 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing or chopping the chicken.
To assemble, place the chicken slices inside a pita pocket. Add the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onions as desired. Drizzle with the yogurt sauce and serve.
If you are gluten-free, pita breads are available, making this recipe even more versatile for those with food sensitivities and allergies.
GRILLED CHICKEN SHAWARMA WITH YOGURT SAUCE
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- pita bread
- romaine lettuce chopped
- tomatoes chopped
- cucumbers sliced
- red onion sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian "hot" paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grill the chicken thighs over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes per side until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove from heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing or chopping.
- Combine all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Place the chicken thighs in a large ziplock bag. Pour the marinade over the chicken thighs ensuring the chicken is thoroughly coated with the marinade.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Combine all ingredients together in a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to assemble and serve.
Thanks for stopping by!