If you are looking for a delicious, rich and creamy, comfort food, this is it! This Creamy Parmesan Italian Soup is definitely a family favorite.
We had a cold front pass thru yesterday. The high temperature was 86 degrees! Compared to the upper 90’s we have had for several weeks, it really was nice. In the deep south at the end of August, you look for a break and jump on any opportunity to remind yourself that autumn is in the air!
I love soups any time of year. They are easy to prepare, can feed several people, and no matter the temperatures they are just comfort in a bowl. This soup is so satisfying you will keep coming back to it time and time again.
Prepare the pasta according to package directions. Cook it for the lesser time called for because you want the pasta to remain al dente. It will continue cooking in the sauce. Drain and set aside.
Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. In a large pan, saute the chicken until lightly browned on each side. It does not have to be completely cooked. It will continue cooking in the sauce. Remove and set aside.
In the same pan, heat the olive oil. Add the carrots, onions, and celery. Cook for 5-7 minutes over medium heat until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the red pepper and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables, stir well, and cook for 3-4 minutes. You want the flour “taste” to dissipate.
Add the chicken stock and chicken. Bring to a slow simmer. Stir in the tomatoes and all the herbs and spices. Bring to a low boil, cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
Stir in the parmesan cheese. Add the heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Add the pasta and mix well. Check your seasonings and add salt and pepper if needed. If you prefer a thinner soup simply add more broth to the pot. Less broth will make it more of a stew rather than a soup.
Grab a large serving spoon and dig in! Just kidding, but it IS that good! We served this with garlic bread and it was a complete and wonderful meal.
CREAMY PARMESAN ITALIAN SOUP WITH CHICKEN
- 3 chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups uncooked small macaroni cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 medium carrots peeled and sliced
- 4 stalks celery sliced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Use the lower amount of time listed because you want the pasta al dente. It will continue cooking in the sauce.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. In a large pan, brown the chicken on all sides. It doesn't need to be thoroughly cooked. It will continue cooking in the sauce.
- In the same pan you browned the chicken, heat the olive oil. Add the carrots, onions, and celery. Saute for 5-7 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the red pepper and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the flour to the vegetables. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes to cook the flour.
- Return the chicken to the pan, along with the chicken stock. Bring to a low boil.
- Add the tomatoes, herbs, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese followed by the heavy cream. Return to a low boil. Serve with garlic bread and you have a complete meal.
If you have leftovers, it is even better the next day. However, the pasta will absorb the broth so you will need to add more stock to reheat it.