I recently made this Sausage Grits Breakfast Casserole for a weekend getaway to the mountains with extended family. There were 7 adults and 2 kids so I needed something that would feed a crowd. This fed everyone with some leftovers and everyone loved it! It is so simple to prepare and serves at least 10 people. If you served fresh fruit or bread alongside, you could easily serve 12. It is really hard for me to judge how many servings a dish makes because we have a few very hearty eaters in our family. You could easily cut the recipe in half if you didn’t need to feed a lot of people.
Sausage and grits are staples in a southern home. One or both are usually found in one form or another on the menu weekly. How great is it that you can have two southern favorites in one recipe? This Sausage Grits Breakfast Casserole can be prepared ahead and is wonderful for breakfast or brunch. It is creamy, rich, and definitely a crowd-pleaser.
Begin by browning the sausage. Drain, add the cream cheese. Mix until the cheese has melted and set aside. Use your favorite breakfast sausage. If you like heat, use a hot variety. If you like sweetness, add a maple-flavored sausage. I used a medium sausage we made from one of our pigs.
Meanwhile, in a large pot, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Slowly add in the grits stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 5-7 minutes until tender and thickened. Remove from the heat.
Add the Velveeta cheese and butter to the grits, stirring until the cheese is melted and thoroughly combined. Add the milk and eggs and stir until well incorporated. Next, stir in the sausage. At this point, check your seasonings. I find there is enough salt in the ingredients that more is not necessary. You can add additional salt and pepper if you prefer.
Spoon the mixture into a buttered 9×13 baking dish. Sprinkle the top with shredded cheddar cheese.
Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 45-50 minutes until golden brown and the center is set.
SAUSAGE GRITS CASSEROLE
- 2 pounds breakfast sausage your favorite brand
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature, cubed
- 2 cups grits
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 16 ounces Velveeta cheese cubed
- 1/2 cup butter cubed
- 1/2 cup half and half may substitute milk
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Brown the sausage. Drain and add in the cream cheese. Stir until combined and the cheese has melted. Set aside.
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a large pot. Slowly add in the grits. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 5-7 minutes until tender and thickened.
- Add the butter and Velveeta cheese to the grits and stir until melted. Add the milk and eggs and mix until incorporated.
- Stir in the sausage mixture.
- Pour the grits into a buttered 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered in a preheated 350-degree oven for 45-50 minutes until golden brown and the center is set.
I have other breakfast casseroles that are delicious. You should try them!
Thanks for stopping by!