This recipe for Homemade Olive Tapenade is so easy and delicious, you will never purchase store-bought again.
Recently, I wanted to try a new fish recipe that called for Olive Tapenade. Of course, the grocery store where I shop was out of it. A quick search online yielded several variations. I chose what sounded good from several recipes, adjusted the ingredients as I went along to develop the taste to my liking, and in less than 15 minutes I had what I needed.
WHAT IS TAPENADE?
Tapenade is a French condiment made from olives, capers, garlic, and anchovies as the base. Other ingredients are added such as fresh herbs, lemon juice, pepper, and olive oil.
HOW TO PREPARE
This recipe is so simple to make. Begin by rinsing the olives, capers, and anchovies under cool water, otherwise, the tapenade could be too salty. I used two different types of olives. You can use one type or several types, it’s up to you. If you have a grocery store that has a large salad/vegetable bar, you should be able to find an excellent array of olives without having to purchase several jars. After rinsing, drain well and place in the bowl of a food processor.
Add the garlic, parsley, lemon juice, and pepper. Pulse until it is minced well. The size of the mixture is up to you. I didn’t chop mine too finely because I wanted a little texture remaining. You could even make a paste if you prefer.
Pour in the olive oil and pulse a few more times to combine thoroughly. Taste for seasoning and adjust to your taste.
That’s all there is to it!
VARIOUS USES FOR OLIVE TAPENADE
There are many ways you can use Homemade Olive Tapenade and all of them are delicious
- Spread on crostini
- Use as a spread on sandwiches
- Add to pasta sauces
- Serve with fresh vegetables and use for dipping
- Add to salads
- Incorporate into ground lamb for burgers
- Use as a pizza topping
HOMEMADE OLIVE TAPENADE
- 1 1/2 cups pitted olives
- 2 anchovy filets
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley may use basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Rinse the olives, capers, and anchovies under cool water. Drain well.
- Add all of the ingredients except for the olive oil to the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Add the olive oil and pulse a few more times to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
- Check your seasonings and adjust to your preferences.
Another family favorite condiment is this Chimichurri Sauce. I hope you will try them both!