If you are looking for a flavorful, one-pot meal, this Baked Italian Sausage Tortellini just may be the perfect recipe for you.
We all have those nights where the thoughts of standing over several pots, cooking, stirring, and the mess to follow just isn’t going to happen. You’ve been there, right? For those nights I long for one-pot meals that are delicious and comforting. This recipe for Baked Italian Sausage Tortellini has become one of those meals.
Because this is a one-pot meal, you will want to prepare all of your ingredients before you start. Then, after you brown the sausage and veggies, it’s just a matter of assembling and baking.
In a large, oven-proof pan or skillet, brown the Italian Sausage. When it is about half cooked, move the sausage to one side of the pan and add the peppers and onions to the other side of the pan. I used orange bell peppers for this recipe because that’s what I had on hand. You could use any type of bell pepper you have available. Continue cooking until the veggies are beginning to soften. The sausage doesn’t need to be fully cooked because it will continue to bake in the oven. Combine everything together and if you have excess grease from the sausage, you will need to drain it off.
Add the crushed tomatoes, garlic, seasonings, and heavy cream. Scrape any “yummies” from the bottom of the pan. This is just more flavor to this already delicious meal. Mix thoroughly. If the sauce looks too thick, you can add up to 1/2 cup of water.
Once everything has heated through check the seasonings. Add salt and pepper, as desired. Remove from the heat and add the tortellini, pressing each down into the sauce. You will want to place them in a single layer so everyone gets some of the delicious sauce!
Take torn pieces of fresh mozzarella and place generously in the pan. Sprinkle with fresh parmesan cheese and basil.
Place a lid or aluminum foil over the pan and bake in a preheated 400-degree oven for 30-35 minutes until everything is bubbly. Place the pan under the broiler for 3-5 minutes to brown the cheese. Watch it carefully so it doesn’t burn.
Alternately, you could bake this uncovered which will result in those little crunchy bits of pasta that are everyone’s favorite in lasagna.
Serve this Baked Italian Sausage Tortellini with a nice salad and crusty bread for a complete meal that is ready in under one hour.
BAKED ITALIAN SAUSAGE TORTELLINI
- 1 pound Italian Sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, any color
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 20 ounces Refrigerated 5-cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 8 oz Mozzarella cheese, fresh
- fresh basil
- In a large oven-proof pot, begin to brown the Italian Sausage. Move over to one side and add the peppers and onions. Cook until the veggies are tender.
- Mix the meat and veggies, add the crushed tomatoes, heavy cream, garlic, spices, and water. Heat thoroughly. Test for seasonings and add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove from the heat and place the tortellini in a single layer over the pan.
- Place pieces of fresh mozzarella around the pan.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese evenly around the mixture.
- Top with fresh basil.
- Cover with a lid or aluminum foil and bake for 30-35 minutes until bubbly.
- Remove the lid/foil and place under the broiler for 3-5 minutes to brown the cheese and crisp up the top. Watch carefully so it doesn't burn.
Pasta is one of our favorite foods, whether it’s in this delicious recipe or in this Easy Pasta Salad.
Leave a Reply