One evening, we were at a friend’s house for dinner and they were discussing his stomach problems. She gave him a shot glass of an Italian liqueur called Nocino. Okay, so I am trying to make this sound fancy. Most people would call this a tincture. Whatever you call it, it was a miracle drug for him and the best part? It is made with simple ingredients and doesn’t contain any additives or preservatives that no one can pronounce!
- 25-30 green walnuts washed and quartered
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star of anise
- 10 whole cloves
- 1.75 liter grain alcohol
- 2 lemons zested
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 cups water
- Add the walnuts, cinnamon, star of anise, cloves, and lemon zest to a one-gallon jar.
- Pour the alcohol over the ingredients. Place a lid on top and sit in a sunny place for 50 days, gently shaking/swirling the jar once a day.
- Strain the alcohol thru multiple layers of cheesecloth. Add the cooled, simple syrup mixture and mix well. Bottle into your container(s) of choice.
- Place in a cool, dark place and allow to age for 6 months before drinking.
- Mix the sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a heavy simmer until the sugar melts.
- Allow to cool completely before adding to the Nocino. You may not want to add all the simple syrup. Adjust it to your taste preferences.