I’ve had two “goals” lately…1) eat healthy 2) don’t let anything go to waste. Tonight’s dinner was a combination of the two. You’ve got to love it when it comes together in a delicious meal that you want to share with everyone.
Sometimes, the simplest ingredients with the perfect combination of spices turn out to be the best meal. This was one of those nights. I had purchased a spaghetti squash to use as pasta for our youngest daughter who has Graves Disease and is eating gluten free. I also had 2 large, grilled chicken breasts leftover from the night before. Determined to make the best of these ingredients I set out to come up with something that would please everyone. I’ve also had an affinity for Asian foods lately, so this seemed to be the perfect solution.
TO ROAST THE SQUASH:
Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle lightly with olive oil. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the squash cut side down on the baking sheet. Bake in a 350-degree oven 45-50 minutes until tender and cooked through. Remove from the oven and let cool. Once cooled, use a fork to “flake” the spaghetti into strands resembling spaghetti. Place in a bowl and set aside.
The rest of the recipe was simply scrambling a couple of eggs, mixing and adding the sauce with the chicken and spaghetti squash, and letting it simmer for a couple of minutes. Top with your ingredients of choice (I used green onions, cilantro, and lime) and serve.
It’s a one pot meal that is super easy, and super delicious!
SPAGHETTI SQUASH CHICKEN PAD THAI
- 1 medium spaghetti squash cooked and shredded
- 1 large chicken breast grilled
- 1/4 cup Tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 each green onions white part only
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 each lime juiced
- 2 each eggs
- Cut the spaghetti squash lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil. Place cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 45-50 minutes until tender. Remove from oven, allow to cool, and shred with a fork until it resembles spaghetti.
- In a medium bowl, mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, green onions, rice vinegar, peanut butter, fish sauce, and lime juice. Set aside.
- In a large saute pan or wok, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chicken and heat thoroughly. If you are using raw chicken, cook until thoroughly cooked. Remove from pan.
- Add 2 eggs and scramble until just cooked through. Add to the chicken.
- Add the sauce mix and heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the cooked chicken, eggs, and spaghetti squash. Heat thoroughly.
- Serve with additional toppings if desired. I used green onions (green part only), cilantro, and lime wedges.
This meal and others like it only go to show that you don’t have to spend hours, use all the exotic ingredients, or master new techniques in order to provide a healthy and delicious meal for your family.