You might be saying to yourself, “that sounds like Chicken Piccata.” From reading up on this recipe, I discovered that “piccata” usually means it is served over pasta, and the chicken breasts are sliced thin into cutlets and breaded lightly before cooking. This recipe for Chicken with Capers and Lemon uses whole pieces of chicken and wasn’t served with pasta. You could use any cut of chicken for this but I chose to use chicken breasts because that’s what I had on hand.
There is also a secret, magical ingredient in this delicious recipe that isn’t normally found in a piccata recipe…Anchovies! Don’t leave until you hear me out. For years I thought I hated anchovies. Those small, salty, slimy little pieces of fish just sounded and looked awful. It wasn’t until I learned that my favorite salad, a Ceasar Salad, contained anchovies that I decided they weren’t always bad. Then, I discovered that Worcestershire Sauce also contained anchovies and that’s when I really began to research how to use them in other dishes.
When anchovies are chopped and added into a sauce, they melt giving the sauce another layer of flavor that you will love. They add a little saltiness and earthiness that is wonderful and tastes nothing like fish. Give it a try…you won’t regret it!
Heat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken and brown on both sides. This will take 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and drain off all but 1 tablespoon of the oil.
Return the chicken to the pan. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the garlic and anchovies. Stir until the anchovies are melted. Pour in the lemon juice and white wine. Bring the sauce to a simmer, cover, and allow to simmer 5 minutes.
Add the capers, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the lid, bring to a low boil and cook until the sauce is reduced and the chicken is cooked through.
CHICKEN WITH CAPERS AND LEMON SAUCE
- 4 each chicken breasts or your preferred cuts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 anchovy fillets diced
- 5 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 large lemon juiced (5-6 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup capers in brine drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and brown on both sides. (2-3 minutes per side) Remove chicken and pour off all but 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Return the chicken to the pan and add the garlic and anchovies. Stir until the anchovies have melted.
- Add the lemon juice and white wine. Bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the capers, and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid, bring to a low boil, and simmer until the sauce is reduced and the chicken is cooked through approximately 8-10 minutes.
This chicken is moist, tender, and delicious.
Thanks for stopping by!