This delicious Seafood Lasagna is made using shrimp, scallops, crab meat, clams, and a rich white sauce. Because of the richness, it will serve 10 when you serve it with a salad and garlic bread. It’s a perfect meal for special occasions.
For this recipe, I used 2 cans of lump crab meat. I’ve made it using imitation crab meat and honestly, I prefer that more. It provides more texture and firmness to the dish.
PREPARING THE SEAFOOD
Begin by cooking the lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Remember, they will continue cooking in the oven so I use the least amount of time recommended. Who wants mushy noodles?
Peel and devein the shrimp and place in a large bowl. If you are using large shrimp you will need to chop them roughly. Drain the clams, reserving the liquid, and put the clams in with the shrimp. Add the crab meat and scallops. Set aside.
In a large saute pan, heat the oil and butter. Cook the shallots for 2-3 minutes until tender but not brown. Add the chicken stock and the bottled clam juice. Heat to boiling. Add all the seafood, return to a boil, and cook until the shrimp begins to turn pink. Remove from the heat, strain, reserving the cooking stock. Set aside.
PREPARING THE WHITE SAUCE (BECHAMEL)
In the same saute pan, melt the butter then add the flour. Stir until smooth. Combine the milk with the cooking stock and pour slowly into the flour mixture, whisking while you add it. Let this cook for 2-3 minutes until it thickens. Add the salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
Remove from the heat. Add the heavy cream and cheese. Mix well. Add 1 cup of the white sauce to the seafood mixture and stir.
ASSEMBLING THE LASAGNA
Lightly butter a 9×13 baking dish. Spread 1/2 cup of the white sauce evenly over the bottom. Place 3 lasagna noodles side by side in the pan. Spoon half the seafood mixture over the noodles followed by 1 1/2 cups of the white sauce. Repeat the layers with the final noodles being covered with the sauce. Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese and parsley.
Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 35-40 minutes until lightly browned and bubbly. Let it rest for 15 minutes before cutting.
This Seafood Lasagna recipe is one your family will love.
- 9 lasagna noodles cooked and drained
- 1 pound shrimp, raw peeled and deveined
- 1 pound bay scallops
- 2 cans white lump crab meat, drained may substitute 8 oz imitation crab
- 2 cans minced clams drained, reserving liquid
- 2 tablespoons shallot minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 bottle 8 oz clam juice
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch cayenne pepper optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the shrimp, scallops, crab meat, and clams. Combine and set aside.
- In a large saute pan, heat the vegetable oil. Add the shallots and cook for 1-2 minutes until tender but not browned.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bottled clam juice. Bring to a boil. Add the seafood and cook for 3-4 minutes until the shrimp begin to turn pink. Drain reserving the cooking liquid.
- In the same saute pan, melt the butter. Add the flour, whisking continually until the flour is smooth.
- Stir the milk slowly into the reserved cooking liquid. Pour gradually into the flour mixture, whisking continually. Cook for 2-3 minutes until thickened. Add garlic powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper to taste and heat through. If the sauce seems too thick, add the reserved clam juice a little at a time to thin it.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the heavy cream and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Add 1 cup of the white sauce to the seafood mixture and stir well.
- Butter a 9x13 baking dish. Spread 1/2 cup of the white sauce evenly over the bottom.
- Place 3 lasagna noodles across the bottom of the baking dish side by side so that the bottom is covered.
- Evenly spread 1/2 of the seafood mixture over the noodles.
- Spoon 1 1/3 cups of the white sauce evenly over the seafood.
- Repeat the layers. The last layer of noodles will not have the seafood included. It will just be finished with the white sauce.
- Sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes until lightly browned and bubbly.
- Let rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
If you are looking for other seafood recipes, check out these family favorites.