My daughter and I usually try new recipes when we are together and today’s recipe was Savory Ricotta Herb Scones. I can’t say enough about these! They are moist, tender, and packed with flavor. The best part is they are easy to prepare.
What are Scones?
Scones are a baked good that uses baking powder as the leavening agent. They are similar to an American biscuit but are usually denser and can be filled with a variety of ingredients. Scones can be either savory or sweet and the combination of ingredients is almost endless.
Scotland is thought to be where scones originated. They were known as quick bread and were eaten for almost any meal.
How to make Ricotta Herb Scones
This is one recipe that you want to prep all of your ingredients before you start. You especially want to keep your butter cold so that it will aid in the rising of the bread.
Begin by grating the cheese and placing it in the refrigerator or freezer until it is time to add it to the mixture.
Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar into a large bowl. Add the cold butter and mix until it is incorporated into the flour and resembles small-sized peas.
Mix in the green onions and fresh herbs.
Add the ricotta cheese and milk. Stir just until is combined. Do not overwork or your scones will be tough.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 2-3 times just until it holds together like bread dough. This dough will be drier than biscuit dough.
I chose to cut my scones into pie shapes, but you could also do biscuit shaped or cut into rectangles. For the pie shape, form the dough into a circle approximately 1/2 inch thick. Cut the dough into 8 pieces as if you were cutting a pie. Place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Brush the tops with the egg wash. It’s great if you have a pastry brush but my daughter doesn’t have one. (I know one thing she is getting for Christmas!) Sprinkle the tops with sea salt, black pepper, and paprika.
Bake in a preheated 425-degree oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
These Savory Ricotta Herb Scones would be great for breakfast, brunch, bridal, or baby showers, or as a side dish to almost any meal.
Savory Ricotta Herb Scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, cold and grated
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely minced
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- salt, pepper, and paprika for topping
- Grate the cheese and place in the refrigerator or freezer to keep cold.
- Chop the green onions and fresh herbs. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar into a large bowl.
- Add the cold butter and mix into the flour until it resembles the shape of small peas.
- Stir in the green onions and fresh herbs.
- Add the ricotta cheese and milk. Stir until it is all combined but do not overwork.
- Pour the flour mixture out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 2-3 times until it begins to form a dough. Do not overwork.
- Press into a circle approximately 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 8 pieces as if you were cutting a pie.
- Place each piece onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle the tops with sea salt, black pepper, and paprika.
- Bake in a preheated 425-degree oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Leave a Reply