This recipe for pork carnitas could not get any easier. It’s perfect for those busy days when you just want to come home and sit down to a delicious meal. The slaw could be made the day before to save even more time.
I love my crockpot (or slow cooker as some call it)! The simplicity of adding everything to one pot, turning it on, and walking away is truly wonderful. And who doesn’t love having only one pan to clean?!?
My original plan was to use the pork roast for bbq but it’s Tuesday! Taco Tuesday!
INGREDIENTS FOR THE PORK:
3-3.5 pound Boston Butt pork roast
1/2 cup chicken stock, vegetable stock, red wine, OR water (the liquid helps retain moistness and adds another level of flavor)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
salt and pepper, to taste
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SLAW:
1 bag prepared cabbage mix for slaw (approximately 4 cups)
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream
juice and zest of one lime
1/4 cup cilantro
1 teaspoon honey
1 jalapeno pepper, diced (you may remove the seeds if you don’t want all the heat)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
TO SERVE: *
jalapeno pepper, diced (if you really love spicy food)
* With the exception of the tortillas, these are all optional ingredients. Load them up any way you like!
1. Mix the spices for the pork in a small bowl. Rub the pork well with the spices.
2. Add the pork and liquid to the crockpot. Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours.
3. In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the slaw. Stir to thoroughly combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
4. Assemble the tacos as desired.
There are so many wonderful things to be said about this recipe, but if you are looking for just one more thing…it’s GLUTEN FREE!