Tis the season!! The holidays are upon us and that means parties, gatherings, and family get-togethers. Where people are gathered together there is always food! Most often, you will see an array of finger foods and these Crockpot Appetizer Meatballs are the perfect recipe for such an occasion.
Meatballs are always a favorite at parties and gatherings of any type. This recipe for Crockpot Meatball Appetizers is easy to prepare and will feed a crowd. You can use frozen meatballs if you prefer making it even more simple.
Cowboy Candy is a sweet pickled jalapeno. It’s spicy but delicious! The addition of the sauce that you see in the ingredients adds heat to the meatballs but is totally optional. You could also use pepper jelly in place of the bbq sauce for a little extra “zing” to the dish.
In a large bowl, mix the beef, pork, garlic, onion, egg, and breadcrumbs until well combined. Form into one inch balls and place on a baking tray lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 15-20 minutes until the meatballs are almost completely cooked. (They will continue cooking in the crockpot.) Remove and place on paper towels to absorb any additional fat.
To the crockpot add the cranberry sauce, bbq sauce, and cowboy candy sauce if using. Stir well and add the meatballs. Cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.
I made the meatballs the day before and refrigerated them until time to put everything into the slow cooker. Less work for me on the day of the party…win, win! This recipe made 48 meatballs, enough for a large crowd.
CROCKPOT APPETIZER MEATBALLS
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 4 large garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 14 oz can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 cup bbq sauce (your favorite)
- 2-3 tablespoons cowboy candy sauce optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, mix the beef, pork, garlic, onions, egg, and breadcrumbs. Combine thoroughly but do not overwork or you will have tough meatballs.
- Form into one-inch balls and place on a baking tray that is lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 15-20 minutes until the meatballs are almost cooked. They will finish cooking in the crockpot.
- To the crockpot, add the meatballs and all the remaining ingredients. Stir gently to combine.
- Cook on low heat for 6 hours.
The meatballs can be prepared ahead and either refrigerated for 1-2 days or frozen for longer, if needed.