Summer is almost here and with it comes fresh green beans. They are such a versatile vegetable that can be steamed, sauteed, baked, used in salads, even eaten raw. Green beans are high in fiber, low in carbs and fats, and are a healthy side dish to accompany almost any meal.
One of our favorite ways to prepare garlic green beans is to saute them. This simple, easy recipe can be prepared in less than 30 minutes, making it perfect for those with busy schedules.
Begin by washing and trimming the green beans. If you prefer a softer bean, blanch them in boiling water for 1-2 minutes depending on the size of the bean. Remove from the water and dry thoroughly on a kitchen towel. We prefer ours with a slight crunch to them so I omit this step.
Heat the oil in a large saute pan. Add the green beans and garlic. Saute for 5-6 minutes stirring frequently to prevent burning.
You can also sprinkle these with parmesan cheese or fresh parsley before serving. However, they are just as delicious without those things.
GARLIC GREEN BEANS
- 1 pound green beans washed & trimmed
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1. Blanch the beans in boiling water for 1-2 minutes, if desired
- 2. Heat oil in a large saute pan. Add green beans, garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Saute for 5-6 minutes until the desired degree of doneness is achieved.
- May be served with parmesan cheese or parsley.