The crockpot has to be one of my favorite kitchen appliances. I love throwing everything in, giving it a stir, turning it on and walking away. It doesn’t heat up the kitchen the way the stove or oven does and that makes me very happy in the summer months.
This recipe for Calico Beans has been renamed by my family as Sebastian Beans. That’s because we have a dear friend who visits a couple of times a year from Heidelberg Germany. This is his favorite food and is always his number one request when he is here.
Because of the meats in this recipe, it could be served as a meal in itself. We, however, prefer to serve it as a side dish for bbq and burgers.
Begin by browning the beef, bacon, and onions in a large skillet.
Next, everything goes into the crockpot and cooks on low for 6-8 hours.
CROCKPOT CALICO BEANS
- 1 pound ground beef cooked and drained
- 8 ounces bacon cooked and drained
- 1 each medium onion chopped
- 2 large cans Bush's Baked Beans
- 16 ounces black beans drained
- 1 can baby lima beans drained
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (may substitute honey)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, bacon, and onions. Drain well and add to the crockpot.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the crockpot. Stir well to combine. Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours.
Leave a Reply