My love for Mexican food is no secret to those who know me. My love for simple meals that can be made in one pot is also not a secret. So when I can make a simple, delicious meal in one pot in less than an hour AND it’s spicy? Well, you can be sure it will have a permanent place in the family meal rotation.
Posole, which means hominy, is a Mexican soup that is packed with flavor. The chipotle peppers in this recipe can be increased or decreased according to your preference for spice. Add the toppings of your choice and this will be a meal you keep coming back to.
Begin by trimming the pork and cutting into one-inch cubes. Add the chimichurri sauce, stir, and refrigerate until ready to cook. This is not a traditional step but I had the sauce leftover from a previous meal and wanted to use it. It added another layer of flavor that we loved.
Using the saute function on the Instant Pot, heat one tablespoon of oil and brown the pork in batches. Do not overcrowd the pork as you are browning the meat. This will cause a braise rather browning.
Saute the onions until tender.
Turn off the Instant Pot. Add all the ingredients to the Instant Pot except the lime juice. Stir well to combine all the ingredients. Lock the lid into position and set the pressure valve. Using the meat/stew function, set the time for 35 minutes.
When the cooking time has completed, allow for a Natural Release of the pressure.
Once the pressure is down, open the pressure valve, remove the lid, and add the lime juice. Stir and serve with your favorite toppings.
INSTANT POT MEXICAN ROJO POSOLE
- 2 pounds pork tenderloin cut into one-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chimichurri sauce
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce minced
- 2 cans hominy, white or yellow drained
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 14.5 ounces tomatoes crushed or diced
- 1 bay leaf
- juice of one lime
- tomatoes chopped
- tortilla chips
- lime wedges
- sour cream
- cotija cheese
- Trim the pork and cut into one-inch cubes. Pour the chimichurri sauce over the pork, stir, and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Using the saute function, brown the meat in batches. Set aside.
- Saute the onions until tender.
- Turn off the Instant Pot. Add all the ingredients to the IP except the lime juice. Lock the lid and the pressure valve.
- Set the meat/stew function for 35 minutes.
- Use the natural release method to finish.
- Serve with any or all of the toppings.
Thanks for stopping by!