Why buy store-bought sauce when you can make these Homemade Sloppy Joes in under 30 minutes? Not only are they easy to make and delicious, but you control what goes in them.
I don’t know about you, but when my kids were little, Sloppy Joes were a go-to quick meal. They are still one of my husband’s favorites. Who knew something so simple could give someone such a pleasure?
In a large skillet, crumble the beef and cook over medium-high heat until browned. Drain and set aside.
Add the onions and peppers to the pan and saute until tender. Stir in the garlic and cook for about one minute until you smell the aroma of the garlic.
To the pan, add the tomato paste stirring well to incorporate. Cook for 1-2 minutes to remove the raw taste from the paste.
Return the beef to the pan along with the remaining ingredients. Reduce the heat to medium. Stir well and cook for 10-15 minutes until bubbly.
The wonderful thing about Homemade Sloppy Joes is that you can adjust the seasonings as you like them. You can reduce the sugar content, increase the heat by adding more red pepper flakes or hot sauce, or add more garlic which is never a bad thing in my opinion.
Serve over toasted buns for a quick and easy meal. We serve ours open-faced. You can add the top bun if you prefer.
If you are gluten-free, it can be served over baked potatoes.
HOMEMADE SLOPPY JOES
- 1 pound ground beef or venison
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced may use green, red, or yellow
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- red pepper flakes to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Tabasco Sauce to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, crumble and brown the beef. Drain and set aside.
- To the pan add the peppers and onion. Saute until tender.
- Add the garlic to the peppers and onion. Cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Stir the tomato paste into the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Return the beef to the pan along with all the remaining ingredients. Stir well and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes until bubbly.
- Serve over toasted buns.
For another delicious 30-minute meal try this one:
Thanks for stopping by!