If you grew up disliking brussel sprouts as I did, then you should try this recipe for Roasted Brussel Sprouts. The only brussel sprouts I ate growing up were boiled until they were mush and had no seasonings at all. YUCK! If that is the way you have eaten them it’s no surprise that you don’t want to try them again, but trust me, this recipe will change your mind.
When Brussel Sprouts are roasted they have a totally different and unique flavor. They are nutty, crispy on the outside, and luscious in the center. With the added nuts, whether you use walnuts or pecans, it becomes a side dish that is perfect for any meal.
I have used frozen brussel sprouts for this recipe but I much prefer fresh ones and I think you will, too. The frozen ones do not get the crispyness that makes this dish so delicious.
HOW TO CLEAN AND PREPARE ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS
Choose brussel sprouts that are bright green in color and tight in appearance. If the root end is brown, gently cut it off but do not cut up into the vegetable itself. You want them to stay together.
Remove any outer leaves that are loose or yellow.
Cut the brussel sprouts in half lengthwise.
Place the prepared sprouts in a large bowl along with the chopped nuts. Drizzle with olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cover a large sheet pan with aluminum foil and place the brussel sprouts on the foil cut side up. Pour any remaining oil evenly over them.
Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 20-30 minutes depending on how soft you prefer them. For me, 25 minutes is just the right amount of time.
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- 24 ounces brussel sprouts, fresh cleaned, trimmed, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans chopped
- Place the prepared brussel sprouts and nuts in a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle with the olive oil. Toss to coat thoroughly.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover a baking tray with aluminum foil. Place the brussel sprouts on the foil, cut side up.
- Pour any remaining oil evenly over the sprouts.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 20-30 minutes until they reach the desired doneness.
For another side-dish favorite, check out this recipe for Easy Pasta Salad