Soups have become a staple in our home and this Italian Meatball Soup is one of our favorites. It can be made on the stovetop or in the slow cooker.
Thoroughly combine all the meatball ingredients. Form into one-inch balls and either fry them or bake them at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or until just done. I baked mine. You could also use frozen meatballs if you are short on time, or you could simply fry the ground beef and skip the meatballs.
In a stockpot, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add the onions, celery, and carrot and saute over medium-low heat until the vegetables are translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. This will take about 10 minutes.
Next, add the meatballs, stock, tomatoes, beans, and seasonings to the pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add the spinach and cook for another 5 minutes.
Just prior to serving this delicious Italian Meatball Soup, add the pasta and let it heat through. (You can cook the pasta in the soup but I have found it gets too mushy as it sits.)
Serve with a loaf of crusty, rustic bread and you have a complete meal.
Italian Meatball Soup
A delicious Italian Meatball Soup that can be made on the stovetop or in a crockpot. This recipe contains homemade meatballs but you could use frozen meatballs as well.
Servings: 6 people
FOR THE MEATBALLS
- 1 pound ground chuck or venison
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE SOUP
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2-3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 48 ounces beef stock
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach thawed and drained
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces bowtie pasta cooked according to package directions, drained, set aside
- Combine all ingredients thoroughly. Form into one-inch balls.
- Pan fry or bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove and place on paper towels to absorb any excess fat.
- In a large stockpot, heat one teaspoon olive oil. Add the onions, celery, and carrots. Saute for 8-10 minutes until the vegetables are translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add the meatballs, stock, tomatoes, beans, and seasonings to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Just prior to serving, add the cooked pasta and let it heat through.
To make this in a slow-cooker, prepare the meatballs and vegetables as directed. Add everything to the crockpot, except the pasta. Cook on low heat for 6 hours. Just prior to serving add the cooked pasta and heat through.
If you are looking for other delicious soup recipes, try this:
Thanks for stopping by!
Leave a Reply