This creamy Italian Sausage & Tortellini Soup is perfect for those busy days when a crockpot is your best friend. I don’t know who invented the slow cooker, but I know I am thankful for them! It is one of my most used kitchen appliances. From applesauce to roasts, to broth/stock, and soups such as this one, it really makes my life much less stressful.
Remove the casings from the sausage, crumble, and cook over medium-high heat until cooked through and browned. There is so much flavor in the browned bits in the pan. There is no need to add additional oil. The sausage will release its fat making it not necessary. Drain well.
Place the sausage, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, seasoning, and beef stock into the crockpot and cook on low heat for 6 hours.
Mix the corn starch with the water and pour it into the soup. Add the milk and spinach and stir well. Turn the heat to high. Taste for seasoning and add salt & pepper to taste.
The soup will begin to thicken as it continues to cook. It will take approximately one hour for this to happen.
In the meantime, cook the tortellini according to package directions. Drain well but do not rinse. Just before serving, add the tortellini to the soup and heat through.
I do not like adding the pasta to the soup and allowing it to cook with it. Mushy pasta is not appetizing to me, therefore, I cook it separately and add it just before serving.
Served with crusty bread, this creamy Italian Sausage & Tortellini Soup is delicious comfort food.
ITALIAN SAUSAGE & TORTELLINI SOUP
This creamy Italian Sausage & Tortellini Soup is perfect for those busy days when a crockpot is your best friend. Serve with crusty bread and you have a complete meal.
Servings: 6 people
- crockpot, slow cooker
- 1 pound Italian Sausage casings removed, crumbled, cooked
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 32 ounces beef stock
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 pound tortellini
- 10 ounces frozen spinach thawed and drained well
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 12 oz cans evaporated milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the casings from the Italian Sausage, crumble, and brown over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausage, onion, celery, garlic, seasonings, and beef stock to the crockpot. Cook on low heat for 6 hours.
- Whisk the corn starch and water until well combined. Add to the crockpot along with the milk and spinach. Stir, turn heat to high and cook until the soup begins to thicken. This will take about an hour.
- Meanwhile, cook the tortellini according to package directions. Drain but do not rinse.
- Just prior to serving, add the tortellini to the crockpot and heat through.
Looking for more crockpot meals? Try these:
Thanks for stopping by!