If you love pizza, you will love this recipe for Homemade Stromboli! It is easy to assemble, feeds several people, is adaptable to whatever you have on hand, and is delicious!
Our original dinner plans were to grill hamburgers, but as I was preparing the dough for the buns the clouds began rolling in. Plan B began by searching the freezer and pantry to see what I could find to wrap all this dough around! I usually always have the ingredients on hand for pizza but this time I decided to make stromboli. This recipe is for a traditional stromboli but I’ve also shown how to prep for a sausage and pepperoni stromboli which is my family’s favorite.
I used my Basic White Bread recipe found here. For pizzas and stromboli, I add garlic and Italian seasoning to the bread dough. If you prefer you can use store-bought pizza dough. That would also make this a much quicker recipe to prepare.
Roll the bread dough into a rectangular shape about 1/4 inch thick. Evenly spread the spaghetti sauce over the bread dough leaving a small gap around the edges. Add as much or as little sauce as you prefer. This was a homemade sauce I made and it’s quite spicy, so I didn’t add as much as I would normally add.
Cover the dough with the shredded mozzarella cheese. Top with a layer of deli ham. I used Black Forest ham but use your favorite. Follow this with salami and pepperoni. For the salami, I used a combination of Italian Dry, Black Pepper Salami, and Calabrese. I couldn’t make up my mind which I loved the most.
Roll into a tight roll, pinch the seams together, and tuck the ends under. Gently place the stromboli on a large baking tray seam side down. Cut slits across the top to allow the steam to escape and the bread dough to cook through. Brush with garlic butter and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
Here is the process for the Sausage and Pepperoni Stromboli. It’s the same as the traditional with different meats.
There are so many variations you could make using this basic recipe.
Greek: Use lamb, ricotta, olives, spinach
Mexican: Use chorizo, peppers, onions, queso blanco, jalapenos
Southern: Use rotisserie chicken, grilled vegetables, spinach, cheddar cheese
The possibilities are endless!
- 1 pound pizza dough homemade or store bought
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 8 ounces spaghetti or pizza sauce
- 3 ounces deli ham
- 3 ounces salami
- 1 ounce pepperoni
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- garlic powder to taste
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese grated
- Roll out the pizza dough in a rectangular shape about 1/4 inch thick.
- Spread the spaghetti sauce over the dough without going all the way to the edges. Leave a half-inch or so so that everything doesn't leak out and the edges will seal.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese evenly over the dough.
- Place a layer of ham over the cheese. Follow this with a layer of salami, followed by a layer of pepperoni.
- Roll the stromboli as tight as you can. Press the seams together and tuck under the ends. Gently place it on a large baking tray.
- Melt the butter and add garlic powder to taste.
- Brush the bread with the garlic butter.
- Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
Thanks for stopping by!