We have a dear friend coming from Peru to visit with us this week. I’ve been trying to come up with appetizers/snacks that we can enjoy while we sit around catching up on each other’s lives. This Artichoke Bruschetta recipe is perfect served with a meat and cheese tray. It could also be baked in a large dish and used as a dip.
The wonderful thing is it can be made in advance and refrigerated until you are ready to prepare the bruschetta.
Bruschetta is an Italian appetizer made by grilling thick slices of bread and rubbing them with garlic and olive oil. Numerous toppings can be used. The most commonly used are tomatoes, garlic, and basil. Since tomatoes are not in season, I decided to try something different.
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 12 ounces artichokes finely chopped
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese grated
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic and herb seasoning, or garlic salt
- 1 loaf baguette bread sliced on the diagonal, 1/2 inch thick
- fresh parsley or paprika for garnish
- To prepare the bread: Cut 1/2 inch slices of a baguette loaf on the diagonal. Brush with olive oil. Grill or toast in the oven until slightly browned. Remove and rub with a garlic clove that has been cut in half. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, place the cream cheese and whip until smooth. You may also use a hand mixer if you prefer.
- Add the mayonnaise and incorporate into the cream cheese.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Add a large spoonful of the artichoke mixture to each bread slice. Spread evenly all the way to the edges. Place on a baking sheet.
- Preheat the broiler. Place the baking sheet under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until the bruschetta is a golden brown.
I first made this Artichoke Bruschetta to “see” if it would work as an appetizer worthy of guests. It was SO worthy that I could make a meal off this. I know, others wouldn’t agree with me, but I’m strange sometimes. After all, it has your protein, veggie, dairy, and carbs included.
The saltiness of the marinated artichokes, the sweetness of the cheese, the crunch of the crostini, makes for the perfect bite. This will definitely be on the menu for our guests.