This recipe for Sweet Corn Pie reminds me of summers in the south. My mom and aunt would always help a neighbor freeze bushels and bushels of fresh corn. It’s too bad they didn’t have this recipe because I’m sure they would have made it often.
Corn is such a versatile vegetable. There are numerous ways it can be prepared and served. This recipe for Sweet Corn Pie would be delicious as a Meatless Monday meal when served with a salad, but it is also great served as a side dish which is how I serve it.
Melt one tablespoon of butter in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until the onions become tender. Stir in the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds until it becomes fragrant.
In a large mixing bowl, add the corn, onion mixture, 1 1/2 cups cheese, milk, 1/2 cup Panko Bread Crumbs, salt, pepper, and lightly beaten eggs. Mix well.
Lightly butter a 10-inch, ovenproof pie plate. Pour the corn mixture into the pan.
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the same pan you sauteed the onions and garlic in. (Less clean up and it also adds a hint of flavor to the topping.) Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Add 1/4 cup Panko stirring to coat evenly in the butter. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Sprinkle evenly over the corn.
Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven for 35-40 minutes until bubbly and lightly browned. Allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving. Sprinkle with fresh parsley or chives, if desired.
SWEET CORN PIE
- 4 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen if frozen, thaw and drain before using
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 3/4 cup Panko Bread Crumbs divided
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (or your cheese of choice) divided
- 2/3 cup Half and Half, or whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- parsley or chives for garnish optional
- In a medium saute pan, melt one tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for 4-5 minutes until tender.
- Add the garlic to the onions and cook for 1-2 minutes until it becomes fragrant.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the corn, onion mixture, 1 1/2 cups cheese, 1/2 cup Panko, milk, salt, pepper, and eggs. Mix well.
- Lightly butter a 10-inch, ovenproof pie plate. Pour the corn mixture into the pan.
- In the same saute pan that you cooked the onions, melt one tablespoon of butter. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Add 1/4 cup Panko Bread Crumbs and 1/2 cup cheese. Mix well. Sprinkle evenly over the corn.
- Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven for 35-40 minutes until bubbly and lightly browned.
- Allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve garnished with fresh parsley or chives if desired.
For another delicious corn recipe, try this one:
Thanks for stopping by!
Great content! Super high-quality! Keep it up! 🙂